As one of the world's elite cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the dynamic control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously aim to exceed and set industry standards as well as improve the safety culture. EHS is responsible for enterprise-wide environmental health and safety services, including Fire and Life Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a tried leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about healthcare as well as EHS.
As a Safety Advisor, you will:
• Work enterprise-wide with client departments to effectively implement MSK environmental health and safety (EHS) services and programs.
• Conduct safety outreach for Departments and assigned areas and lead with supervisors to affirm effective EHS programs and service implementation in areas conducting higher-hazard operations.
• Independently evaluate chemical, biological, fire and general safety hazards as well as hazardous material shipments and waste management practices; implement effective safe work practices in accordance with established departmental standards and advance MSK’s safety culture.
• Routinely review safe work practice recommendations for higher-hazard operations with EHS specialists and supervisory staff.
• Conduct inspections of safety equipment.
• Respond as a part of an emergency response team to hazardous material spills, gas leaks, indoor air quality issues and other emergencies.
• Conduct fire protection and suppression system shutdowns, fire and life safety risk assessments and fire and life safety surveys.
• Respond to and evaluate response to fire events, and fire alarm activations.
• Participate as a member of the EHS team, providing other departmental staff members with collaboration and support to further departmental mission.
• A Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, environmental science, industrial hygiene, or closely related field.
• At least 2-4 years of work experience in a scientific, technical, or healthcare setting are required; Or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• A high service orientation with good social, written and oral communication skills to impart health and safety information to workers of differing backgrounds.
• Proven good interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal effectively with people in the widest variety of job classifications.
• Strong presentation skills are needed in order to develop and present safety trainings for groups of over 100 faculty, staff, and students.
• Excellent organizational skills, capability to work independently and as a team member in a service environment and handle multiple assignments.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, a plus.
Please note –
• Safety Advisors can be assigned to different locations primarily throughout Manhattan, and can include select locations in Long Island or New Jersey.
• Training will be in Manhattan.
For more info on our Environmental Health & Safety Department, please take a look here: