Oversee the financial analysis and monitoring for the Patient Financial Services and Patient Accounts Divisions which includes Outpatient and Inpatient hospital activity of over $6 billion annually. Produce and analyze regular and ad-hoc reports for all levels of administration, clinical staff and the executive Vice President. Collaborates with the Department of Finance and Departmental Administrators to produce annual revenue, write off/allowances and collection budgets. Supervise staff of 1 senior analyst.
Responsibility Detail: Generates monthly reports for Associate Director to track billing trends and variance from budget.
- Creates and maintains monthly reports tracking hospital revenue, collections and receivable data. Sources for the data include:
- DB2 data warehouse, SQL Server and various disparate data sources including information for billing, collections , write-off and receivable data
- Annual Revenue Budget” budgeted billing and collection activity
- Related data from other systems such as Cadence for outpatient activity, VP report to explain coding lag times, CIS for drug orders.
- Ensures strict adherence to established quality control measures.
- Produces and oversees the monthly production of General Ledger information and communicates recommendations to the Finance department.
- Manages the annual production of budget preparation reports, and revenue projections.
- Use DB2, SQL, Datawatch, GE HPA, SMS, Cirius, data mining reporting tools, spreadsheets and database applications in the most effective way possible to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of report production.
- Prepares reports of financial and analytic methods, findings and interpretations for distribution to hospital management and external organizations as necessary.
- Analyze and develop actuarial models for the use in trending payer reimbursements and outstanding receivables
- Creates monthly department-specific revenue reports with detailed information by code and location in such a way to support the administrators’ ability to track and manage activity
- Work with Director and appropriate Physician Billing analysts to meet the needs of administrators who have revenue in both areas to have meaningful data.
Responsibility Detail: Ensure that staff is trained, given ongoing feedback and recognition, and encouraged to develop. Ensure that interviewing and hiring process meets area needs.
- Interviews candidates and approves selection of candidates for senior analyst position. Assesses potential candidates against required skills, job requirements, and needs of the department.
- Ensures that staff is fully trained, both when newly hired, as well as when changes in policies or procedures occur.
- Ensures that the Performance Improvement process is used appropriately when issues with staff arise, and Employee Relations is consulted as necessary.
- Conducts annual performance appraisal of direct reports and ensures that all appraisals done for direct reports are handled fairly and consistently, and in accordance with Center guidelines.
- Develops managerial, interpersonal, and technical skills in staff. Meets regularly with staff to identify new opportunities, encourage ideas, and provide a forum for staff development. Creates developmental plans for direct reports.
- Works with other managers to promote consistency of productivity and quality standards across the department
- Provides appropriate ongoing individual feedback to staff on performance strengths and areas in need of improvement according to the Center’s policy. Provides feedback that focuses on specific instances of behavior.
- Monitors and provides guidance to senior analyst in the completion of departmental projects
Responsibility Detail: Prepare, monitor and analyze patient accounts revenue budget and actual data.
- Works with Finance and clinical department administrators in the preparation of the annual Patient Accounts gross revenue budget of more than $2 billion to forecast expected billings, contractual allowances, and write-off and collection rates
- Analyzes trends for the entire revenue management cycle to support budget preparation, explain variances from budget, and identify possible operational or system problems.
- Works with Associate Directors, Operations, Systems and Compliance Managers to identify and resolve timely billing and collection issues, and develop strategies to maximize collections.
- Assist operational Managers and Finance with regard to Managed care contract review, ensuring the contract criteria maximizes billing and collections efficiencies
- Prepares reports reflecting impact of contractual rate updates and reviews with PA and Finance senior management, and department administrators
- Provides periodic reporting of performance to managed care companies
- Works with Finance to explain variances from budget and ensures receivable reserves and credit analysis levels are set appropriately.
Responsibility Detail: Oversees the CDM process
- Work with Patient Accounts Compliance staff to understand usage of different codes and support the annual CDM updating process.
- Work with Compliance staff as well as Finance staff to use and evaluate prices as compared to each other, Medicare fees and other available data.
- Work with Compliance staff in review ing ADCC data on differences in patterns of code usage between MSKCC and other cancer centers.
- Serves as point of contact for administrators interested in adding new charges to the CDM.
Responsibility Detail: Participates in strategic planning of clinical programs and institutional financial strategies through analysis of revenue impact.
- Works with system and operational staff in the development, testing and implementation of new software applications.
- Follows up post production to ensure that all staff expectations have been fulfilled and to evaluate project results
- Participates in strategic discussion of billing options and new programs with clinical departments, Finance, Compliance etc., (e.g., compliance risk, CEED program, etc.)
- Reports on anticipated and actual impact of managed care contracts and payer/patient mix changes
- Develops system generated standard reports for distribution or use by department Managers and hospital management.
Responsibility Detail: Maintains databases necessary to support technical billing activities and ensures that all necessary procedures and practices are fully documented.
- Creates and maintains documentation of procedures for all databases and reports. This includes specification for regular reports as well as comprehensive documentation of issues arising during the production of any report.
Bachelor’s Degree 4-7 years
At least 2 years supervisory experience